On Sunday, I made some butter. From scratch. Well, no credit here, it's probably the easiest thing to make, it is just a bit physical. I've been wanting to do it for quite some time now and I'm glad I did. I'm very pleased to say it tastes great and it makes me want to experiment some "flavours".
- Double cream (or whole cream, same thing) - I used 250ml, which is a small amount of butter
- Salt to taste, if you fancy
- Jar with a good lid (I use a clean jam jar)
- Shake. And I mean shake. It needs 15-20 minutes I would say, but you don't need a timer, you will know. The cream is going to get thicker and thicker and stick to the sides than it's weirdly going to get a bit runnier again and separate suddenly. On one side you'll have the butter and on the other the butter milk. You will feel it and see it when you are shaking.
- Drain the butter, you can keep the butter milk for another recipe. Put it back in the jar, add a little bit of cold water, shake, drain again. Repeat several time until it runs clear.
- Transfer your butter on the chopping board and press your butter with the spoon to remove excess liquid. Add the salt to taste.
- Put in a jar and keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks.