09/07/2012

Chèvre frais



I have finally received my cheese cloth through the post and bought a litre of goat milk. Now you can imagine where I am going with this, last weekend I made my own fresh goat cheese. And I feel very excited about it, probably too much for cheese but I have my reasons. Strangely enough (for me anyway) it is very easy to find fresh goat milk in London, but quite hard to find nice goat cheese that doesn't cost an arm on top of it. In France it's the contrary, but then we are the country of cheese.

Making fresh goat cheese is easy. You just need to be patient (which I am not) and take your time (part where I usually fail). I still managed to do it, so here we go.

Ingredients:
  • 1L of fresh whole goat milk
  • 1tea spoon of salt
  • 3 table spoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Equipment:
  • Cheese cloth
  • Large bowl
  • Non-reactive pan (don't use aluminium for example)



Recipe:
  • Warm up the milk with the salt on low heat. Stir from time to time to make sure the milk is not scorching on the bottom. Keep the milk at a temperature of 95° - I didn't have a thermometer, in this case you just need to keep an eye and make sure it never actually boils. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
  • Take the milk off the heat and add the lemon juice. Stir gently. You should see the milk split.
  • Leave the pan to sit for 5 minutes.


  • Meanwhile, line the bowl with the cheese cloth.




  • Pour the milk gently into the bowl. Grab the four corners of the cloth, tie a string around the top and hang above the bowl.



  • Leave for an hour, two hours if you prefer your cheese thicker.




  •  Store in a glass container in the fridge. I use a clean jam jar.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment