16/10/2012

Almond milk leftovers cake



I apologise for the very poor picture, our living room is a cave...

After walking all around north London on Sunday morning, I was in the mood to cook a bit. More precisely I wanted more almond milk (here is how to make it) for my morning coffee which was implying baking a cake with the leftovers of almonds. The recipe I've found is a sort of banana almond bread. Originally it was vegan and gluten free, as I didn't have all the ingredients to substitute, I did a non vegan, non gluten free version of it. My friend Aurélie from Oh, Almonds helped me to find the ingredients and proportions equivalents. Saying that, she is vegan and gluten intolerant, so check her blog for recipes.


Ingredients:
  • 1 egg (happy hen free range)
  • 250g of flour
  • 150g of sugar
  • 90g almond pulp left after making the almond milk
  • 50g of butter
  • 125ml of almond milk
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

Recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 190°C and grease a loaf tin.
  • Mash the bananas into a bowl with the lemon juice.
  • Whisk the egg, add the melted butter, vanilla extract, salt, banana mix and almond milk. Whisk until smooth.
  • In another bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, almond pulp and bakind soda.
  • Add the dry mix to the liquid ingredients and stir until combined.
  • Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes. It might need a bit less or a it longer, keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment