19/03/2013

Wallace Collection


Ice cream coolers




















Illegal picture of the poster to sell the furniture from Versailles after the French Revolution


Francesca da Rimini and Paolo Malatesta appraised by Dante and Virgil








The Wallace Collection is one of my favourite place in London. It's not a museum, but a house full of art, which means there is as much furniture as paintings and I really enjoy that. I've been there a few times but I had forgotten how big it was! The nice thing is that it's less busy than most museum so you are often alone in the room, it's free and you can take as many pictures as you like. I like that kind of places!

Sir Richard Wallace inherited an art collection for his father and expended it over the years. There is a lot of French art which can be explained by the fact that he lived in Paris. He was there during the siege by the Prussian army in 1870 and did a lot to help the city and French people. When he died, his widow gave his house to the state and it became the Wallace Collection.

I'm not a huge fan of the art there, there is a few Fragonard, a painter I really dislike and a lot of paintings of the same style that I find fairly "tacky". But there is also Francesca da Rimini and Paolo Malatesta appraised by Dante and Virgil by Ary Scheffer that I absolutely wanted to see again. Sorry for the poor quality of that picture. I like this place more for the atmosphere, the grand rooms and furniture. I also love all the armour section, specially the horses.

I would definitely recommend this place if you are in London, it's a lovely way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. The Wallace Collection is also one of my favorite places in London. It was just a short walk from my office and I would go there often. My favorites are the same or similar to yours, but I was fascinated by the miniatures as well. The fact that it is a much less frequented site makes it all the more enjoyable for being able to linger and study at ones pleasure, I would say.

    ReplyDelete